Famous for its unmistakeable ringing bells
The Cathedral of Saint Jacob, commonly known as Innsbruck Cathedral, was built in 1180. Since then it has overlooked the city and represents an important stop along the Way of Saint James pilgrimage trail. It was severely damaged by earthquakes in the 16th and 17th centuries and rebuilt. Today it is famous for the sound of its bells, which ring out across the oldtown and the whole of the city. It has the second-largest bell in Tyrol, made by the well-known Grassmayr bell foundry in Innsbruck in 1846. The Innsbruck Peace Carillon can be heard every day at midday. It comprises 57 bells, making it the largest carillon in Austria, and weighs more than 4,100kg.